Author Topic: waste carriers licence  (Read 3079 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline burnside

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 90
  • Respect: 0
waste carriers licence
« on: May 27, 2010, 06:12:19 PM »
Does anyone know if you need a waste carrier licence for the following;
1.  A self employed man with a tow truck picks up scrap cars (advert in local rag) and either strips them in his own yard/home or takes them direct to a scrappy.
2.   The local rag and bone man coming around the streets with his horn and picking up old washing machines, iron gates etc and loading them onto his flat back transit.
3.   A tree surgeon who chops trees down and carries away the branches/trunk/green bits in his flat back truck.
I ask because I've used all three recently and never even considered it until I saw a householder in the paper getting prosecuted for not checking the licence of someone who collected his bricks from a wall he had knocked down.


  • Guest
Re: waste carriers licence
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 06:21:23 PM »

I suppose the question is what is defined as "controlled waste"?

Interesting though "if you want to transport controlled waste in England and Wales as part of your business or with a view to profit, you need to register as a waste carrier. However, you don't need to do this if:

you are carrying waste that you have produced, unless it is building or demolition waste; "

Offline FNG

  • TA Guru
  • *****
  • Posts: 2007
  • Respect: 0
Re: waste carriers licence
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 06:35:57 PM »
dismantling of vehicles and selling motor scrap is regulated as far as I know by the local councils.

like this

most of these thingfs will be covered by the local council

this has a section for street and house collections and selling second hand goods

I would recomend that you seive the local council websites as they are generally a gold mine of information on local bylaws